So this weekend we got some serious snow.
Not as serious as some of the other storms we have had, but the rate at which it came down was the problem.
I tend to like snow, but when you have to clean it up? Not so much fun anymore.
I still think is is beautiful and since Patrick and I live in the woods, it makes for some pretty amazing views.
We also tend to find some interesting prints in our snow after a big one, not sure if it is the neighbors cat or a animals from the woods. Probably a bit of both right?
Speaking of critters…
I am finally getting a puppy!!!
I am completely in love with Bernese Mountain Dogs and I have been for quite a few years now. I just find them to be super gorgeous and I love bigger dogs 🙂
We happen to have some good friends (dancer friend of mine and her husband who made Patrick and I’s wedding bands and engagement ring), who have a Bernese Mountain Dog and they gave us the name of the breeder they got their most recent puppy from. Who is a DOLL! But also enormous.
I could not be happier! I get to meet the mama of our new puppy on February 14th, how perfect!
It has been hard to be without animals so I am really looking forward to having s new puppy in our new home.
It definitely has been something that I have wanted for a while, obviously didn’t want to get the pup until after the wedding because there was far too many things going on.
The best part is I am going to have something to keep me company while Patrick is gone. He travels A LOT for work so I am on my own sometimes for weeks at a time, so it is going ot be great to have a companion again.
It has been so tough without Gizzy, he was my little dude and I always would talk to him even though he couldn’t talk back, so I am just super excited!
Actually getting a puppy is part of my new years “resolutions”. Remember I told you I tend to have goals more than resolutions and I split my goals into categories. Health, Happiness and Future.
Well getting a puppy is definitely in the “Happiness” category for me.
Also, for the “Future” I wanted to make that more travel oriented because besides the honeymoon, I was pretty much in one place the entire year of the wedding. Well this year?? We already have 1 trip planned to ABQ for a wedding and I hope to meet up with Steph! Then in May it is off to Vegas for a Bachelorette party for Nicole! In August I will be in California. This summer I plan to take Patrick to Philly since he has never been there and visit with Chrissy and her family. And I am hooooopinf that I will be able to meet up with Tam & Kait for Homecoming at Penn State.
Anyways, onto why you are here…
There is this little farm-stand by my house that I tend to go to in the summer months probably once a week because this older lady owns it and she has the best produce and it is super inexpensive! It is so close I could ride my bike to it, maybe I should do that this summer…
Anyways, she had these “white” sweet potatoes and since I love sweet potatoes so much I figured I would give them a go.
The only thing I noticed about them is that they aren’t quite as sweet as a normal sweet potato, other than that they were great!
I decided to roast these ones into fries, because well…fries are awesome.
Whenever I made sweet potatoes I tend to roast them, I just love the flavor they get.
I was amazed how much these looked like regular potatoes, but they do not taste like them! That is for sure.
One big tip that I learned is that if you want a super crispy sweet potato fry, cook the potatoes twice.
Yes, cook the potatoes 2 times.
First either boil them or put them in the microwave and then cut and bake. The moisture that is taken from them when you cook them first will help them to be crispier later.
It is is a great trick that has definitely worked out for me. Give it a go and tell me what you think.
I tend to also cook my fries until they are extra crispy anyways, I like burnt things. It isn’t normal.
All the time I tend to cook my portion of the meal a little longer than Patrick, especially with fries. Bring on the burnt!
Hope you all had a great weekend and hope you have a great week!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 white/yellow sweet potatoes (about 1lb)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Take sweet potatoes and cut in half and place into a glass bowl filled with water. Place the potatoes in the water and make sure that they are completely covered. Cook in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes. Do not cook all the way, you want the potatoes to still be warm.
- Drain from water and cut into 1/4" thick pieces. The thinner the pieces the crispier the fry.
- Toss the semi-cooked pieces in spices and olive oil.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and place fries into sheet, make sure that each fry has its own space and is not touching another. This is also a trick to having super crispy fries.
- Place in oven and cook for 25 minutes. Remove after 25 minutes or when fries start to brown and flip fries over. Cook for additional 15-20 minutes or until your reach desired doneness.
- Sprinkle with additional Himalayan salt right from the oven.
- Trick: Cooking the potatoes in the microwave first helps to create a super crispy fry later.
- Depending on how many people you need to serve with these, figure one 1/2 pound potato per person. This is a good rule of thumb, because the potatoes do shrink in the cooking process.
- Also, adjust the spices for your taste!